After a few seasons of indulging in our preferred comfort foods, it can be difficult to shake the hankering for some of our favorites when summer finally comes around. Here at NetCost Market, we thought we’d bring you a selection of recipes that make quick and easy meals that are ideal for summer!
This brilliant summer meal is full of healthy oils, vitamins, and fresh vegetables. The Greeks are known for having one of the healthiest diets in the world with lower rates of heart disease and diabetes as a result!
Ingredients: For the topping – ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, juice of 2 lemons, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp. dried oregano, ½ tsp. red pepper, fresh black pepper, 1 cup cubed feta, 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup pitted black olives, ¼ cup chopped cucumbers, 2 tbsp. chopped dill.
For the salmon – 1 lemon, thinly sliced, 1 small red onion – thinly sliced, 4 salmon fillets, salt, black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and red pepper. Season with pepper and then add the cubed feta – toss the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Scatter the sliced lemon and red onions on the bottom of a large baking dish. Add the salmon fillets, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper and bake until the meat is opaque and flaky – about 20 minutes.
- Plate the salmon up and then serve by topping with the marinated feta mixture and fresh dill!
Charred shrimp, leek, and asparagus skewers
This great dish can be an appetizer when having guests for dinner or brought to a grill out! It’s light, summery, and rather healthy!
Ingredients: 1lb. peeled and deveined shrimp, 1lb. asparagus, – trimmed and cut into 2-inch length pieces, 2 medium leeks – white and green parts only and cut into ¾ inch think pieces, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 lemons – halved, ½ cup mayonnaise, 1 ½ tbsp. harissa paste, salt, and pepper.
- Get the grill heated to medium-high. Thread the shrimp, asparagus, and leek rounds onto the skewers. Brush lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers until the vegetables are tender and the shrimp is opaque throughout – around 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Place the lemons on the grill alongside the skewers with the flesh side facing down, and grill until charred – about 4 minutes.
- In a bowl, squeeze the juice of 1 half lemon, and then add mayonnaise and harissa paste to the bowl, mixing it to make a dipping sauce.
- Serve the skewers with the dipping sauce and a half of charred lemon for extra squeezing!
Hawaiian grilled cheese
This Hawaiian-inspired answer to a grilled cheese is really one of the best comfort foods you can make. It brings together the flavors of our Pacific island state and throws them into a classic grilled cheese!
Ingredients: 4 tbsp. butter, 8 slices white Hawaiian sweet bread, 8 slices of sharp cheddar, 4 slices provolone, 8 pineapple rings, 1 cup teriyaki sauce.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, place 4 of the bread slices butter-side down.
- To each, add 2 slices of cheddar, 1 slice provolone, 2 pineapple rings, and ¼ cup teriyaki sauce, and then top with the second slice of bread, butter side up.
- Cook until golden brown and the cheese is beginning to melt, and then flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Just because winter is over, it doesn’t mean you can’t make indulgent and tasty dishes. Try following some of these recipes to see if you can add to your list of scrumptious summer dishes, and remember that at NetCost Market, we offer loads of brilliant produce that can inspire a whole new repertoire for the coming months!