It is an ancient system to help people digest their food better.
When foods are properly combined, digestion works most efficiently, nutrients are easily absorbed, and overall health improves.
Food combining is an essential part of the cleansing process as well as your daily eating routine. A healthy digestive tract is an important step to restoring the body’s balance. The benefits of proper food combining are to feel better, to have less abdominal bloating and less intestinal gas, to drop excess weight, to increase nutrient assimilation, and to have more energy.
A good combination of foods is when you combine proteins (meat, poultry, fish, cheese, eggs, lentils, beans, tofu, nuts, seeds) with green vegetables. Another good combination of foods is when you combine starches ( all grains, potatoes, yams, lima beans, pumpkin, corn, artichokes, coconut, pasta, bread, cereals, sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, parsnips, winter squash) with green vegetables.
Vegetables encourage the digestion of proteins and starches.
Some general rules about food combining:
- Do not mix milk with fish or meat
- Do not eat cooked and raw foods in the same meal (raw foods are harder to digest)
- Do not eat fruit with other foods (make fruit a separate meal, snack, or dessert)
- Avoid eating leftovers or habitually eating reheated foods (freshly made foods are the ideal)
- Combine butter, eggs, and cheese with a meat meal in moderation
- Do not drink anything while eating (you inhibit complete digestion by drinking beverages while eating)
- Do not eat dessert after meal (make desert a separate meal or snack)
- Eat only when your body is naturally hungry (stop eating when your body is satisfied)
- Do not eat when you are very emotional, angry, worried, or upset
Dandelion is regarded as a liver and kidney tonic in traditional medicine. It has been used to improve digestion. Add the leaves of dandelion to your salad or brew the roots and leaves into a tea.
Fennel seeds can calm your stomach and prevent unwanted gas and bloating. These tasty seeds are a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Add one teaspoon of fennel seeds to a cup of hot water and let brew for five minutes, or try them raw if you are on the go.
Try to incorporate this technique in all your daily meals. Within a month of applying the strategy of food combining you will have more energy, improved digestion, and an ideal weight. My favorite part of the system is that by focusing on a good combination of foods I get to eat what I like. The system works its miracles.