Who wants to eat hot soup during the summer? Nobody. But what if it was cold? Check out Okroshka, a Russian cold soup!
- 1 small bunch radishes, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into small dice
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 2 medium boiled waxy potatoes (red or golden), cut into tiny dice
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, cut into little dice
- 3 cups plain milk kefir
- 1-2 cups water
- Salt and pepper, if desired
- You can add poached diced chicken or sausages to this dish.
- Mix radishes, cucumber, chopped scallions, dill, eggs, potatoes and poached chicken (sausages) in a medium bowl.
- Mix kefir and water until desired consistency in a different bowl.
- Pour kefir-water mixture over veggies and meat, season with pepper and salt to add more of a taste.
Aside from tasting delicious, Okroshka has different heath benefits such as choline, which is necessary for normal functioning of the human nervous system and vegetables rich in crude fiber, which envelop carbohydrates not allowing them to be absorbed too quickly. This will help the body stable blood glucose levels and create a long lasting feeling of satiety. Kefir itself is a creamy product that also has remarkable health characteristics. It contains beneficial yeast as well as probiotic bacteria that is loaded with vitamins and minerals.
Enjoy Okroshka as a meal or a starter to keep cool!