It’s February already! You know what that means… Valentine’s day is nearly upon us. The day of love is much anticipated by many, for both good and bad reasons. We say embrace Valentine’s Day! Treat yourself, your best friend, boyfriend, wife, or anyone! And the best way to show your appreciation has to be breakfast! Who doesn’t love a leisurely morning meal?!
There are the tried, tested and much-loved classic Valentine’s Day breakfasts: Pancakes, heart shaped eggs, bacon, and more strawberries than you can shake a stick at. This year it’s time to branch out a little, make way for our top 3 Valentine’s Breakfast Treats!
Baked Spinach & Eggs with Bacon Roses
Bacon and eggs are always great for breakfast, don’t throw away a winner! All it needs is a little loving tweak… bacon roses.
You Will Need
4 Cups Spinach
3 Tbsp Feta Cheese
Salt & Pepper
1 Pack Thick or Thin Cut Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease 2 ramekins suitable for holding 2 eggs each.
- Make the bacon roses. To do so simply roll up a slice of bacon and secure in place at the bottom by crossing two toothpicks. Continue until you have an amount you’re happy with.
- Stand roses on a rack with a tray under to catch any fat when cooking. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Whilst the bacon cooks, in a large skillet briefly cook the spinach in 1 Tbsp of water, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach into the 2 ramekins and crack 2 eggs into each.
- Crumble the feta cheese evenly over both and finish with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- After the bacon has been baking for 15 minutes, place the ramekins into the oven and bake everything for a further 15-18 minutes, using the eggs as your indicator of breakfast being ready!
- Remove from the oven and add a couple of fresh spinach leaves to the side of your spinach and egg ramekins and sit the bacon roses on top!
Is it Valentine’s Day if you don’t have chocolate? And if there is any time, other than your birthday, that you can eat chocolate for breakfast it’s February 14th. Impress with these liquid middle, chocolate cakes which are surprisingly easy to make.
You Will Need:
2 7.5cm (approx 3”) dariole moulds
1 Tsp Cocoa Powder
1 oz Unsalted Butter
1 oz Caster Sugar
1 oz Plain Flour
1 oz Quality Dark Chocolate
1 Small Egg
1 Small Egg Yolk
1 Tbsp Rum
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease your molds and dust with cocoa powder, place in the refrigerator whilst you prepare the mixture.
- Over a pan of boiling water, melt the butter and chocolate together slowly. Remove from the heat and mix until smooth.
- Whisk together the egg, egg yolk and sugar until thick.
- Fold the egg and sugar mixture into the chocolate, followed by 1 Tbsp of rum and then the plain flour.
- Take your darioles and split the mixture between them.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, the outside should be cooked and the center will be a delicious liquid.
- Serve in or out of the mold with either cream or ice cream!
Syrniki is a great alternative to pancakes! Try out this Russian breakfast dish with any of your favorite pancake toppings for an impressive Valentine’s treat.
You Will Need:
½ lb Cottage Cheese
2 Tbsp Sugar
⅓ Cup + 1 Tbsp Plain Flour
1 Tsp Vanilla Sugar
½ Tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Oil for frying
Dollop of Smetana
Fresh Berries or your favorite jam
Sprinkle of Icing Sugar
- In a bowl mix together cottage cheese, sugar, vanilla sugar, egg, plain flour and baking powder. Make sure you combine them well and you should be left with a sticky mixture.
- Pour the 2 Tbsp oil into a large skillet and turn the heat to medium, you want the pan to be hot when you start to cook.
- Take some extra flour and dust a work surface.
- Using a spoon scoop out a serving of the mixture and place it onto the flour. Turn it over and ensure both sides have an even coating, then in your hand pat the mixture to flatten out the round. It will look like something that resembles a chunky pancake. You should be able to make around 8 pieces of syrniki.
- Place your rounds into the hot oil and fry on both sides until they have a crispy outer coating with a golden color.
- Serve up with a sprinkle of icing sugar, a generous helping of smetana and your favorite berries or jam & enjoy!