When summer rolls around, the air fills with that all too familiar smell of charcoal and grilled meat! There’s nothing like a classic summer grill for getting friends and family together, but sometimes the marathon of meat, cheese, and bread can take its toll on your waistline! Rather than sticking to shop-bought burgers and hotdogs, why not diversify your grilling repertoire with some tastier and healthier options!? Here at NetCost Market, we’ve put together some recipes that will get everyone talking all summer long!
Classic California Chicken
Cali is known for its great beaches and as a result, it’s the place to go for great food that won’t destroy your beach body! This simple recipe is guaranteed to be a favorite at any grill or cookout, so make sure you make enough for everyone as there will surely be people asking for more!
Ingredients: ¾ cup balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tbsp. honey, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tsp. Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 4 slices mozzarella, 4 slices avocado, 4 slices beef tomato, 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, balsamic glaze.
How to make:
- In a bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, honey, oil, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour this over the chicken breasts and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, get the grill going to medium-high heat. Oil the grill grates with some vegetable oil and then grill the chicken until charred and cooked through – about 10 minutes.
- While still on the grill, cover each chicken breast with mozzarella, avocado, and a slice of tomato, and then cover the grill until the cheese has melted.
- Place on a serving dish with basil leaves and drizzle with the balsamic glaze!
Hot Grilled Salmon
There’s always someone who brings fish to a grill or cookout, and it’s usually the hit of the party! Fish and grilling go hand in hand – mainly because the meat picks up the smoky flavor much more than meat does. What’s more, it’s extremely healthy as it’s low in fat, contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids, and pairs much better with a tasty salad as opposed to calorie-packed bread!
Ingredients: 1 cup sriracha, juice of 2 lemons, ¼ cup honey, 4 skin-on salmon fillets, chopped fresh chives or scallions.
How to make:
- In a large bowl, mix the sriracha, lemon juice, and honey. Separate ½ a cup of this for basting once the fish is cooked.
- Place both the salmon and marinade in a large Ziploc bag, and allow it to coat all of the fish. Leave in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours – ideally 12!
- Get the grill going to high heat. Oil the grates liberally and add the salmon skin-side down. Baste with the marinade constantly and cook until the fish is golden brown – about 5 minutes each side.
- Take the fish off the grill and baste with the marinade that was left to one side and sprinkle with chopped chives or scallions before serving to a hungry crowd!
Zucchini and Cauliflower Feta Skewers
If you’re someone who turns their nose up at the vegetarian options at a cookout, this will make you think again! With plenty of flavors yet very few calories per serving, it’s a great appetizer or side to meat or option for those that don’t eat meat at all!
Ingredients: 4 large zucchinis, 1 head of cauliflower – cut into large florets, 8 skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes, olive oil, salt, black pepper, ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese.
How to make:
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and then shave the zucchini into long strips using a peeler. Skewer the zucchini strips by crumpling them on the skewer and then alternate with cauliflower florets. Try to fit 3 to 4 florets on each skewer. Drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers, turning every 3 minutes or so until all sides are slightly charred – but not burned!
- Serve on a serving dish and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
The summer months are all about getting outside and grilling with friends and family, but if you find the heavy food is taking its toll on your waistline, try some of these brilliantly tasty yet light recipes for yourself! If you’d like to find somewhere where you can get all the fresh ingredients needed to make healthy grilled food, head down to your nearest NetCost Market!